Did She or Didn't She?
On March 7, 2007, Kaleigh will be doing an oral book report on...Well I am guessing you can guess by looking at the photo. If not, shame on you! She is going to talk about herself as this person and her classmates will need to guess who she is portraying. She is so cute in her outfit, don't you think? Now I know there is a lot of talk about how she didn't actually help design or even sew the first flag, but since the history books still say it is her, that is who she is going to do her report on. She was happy to have Grandma sew her a hat and a shawl, and Mom got a great deal on a dress from Goodwill. Ebay was helpful in that I was able to get the flag, with the 13 stars on it! Grandma even supplied some red, white and blue threads, a large needle (better for the kids to see at a distance) and a thimble! Kaleigh is very excited about her report and we hope that everyone appreciates all the time and effort she put into it! We are working on memorizing most of her speech.
I will let you know how it goes!

3 comments:
Too cute!!!
I hope that one goes up on the wall in her room. That is just adorable :)
Good job on your BETSY ROSS report, Kaleigh!
I'm sure it will be the best one!
The Betsy Ross story is based solely on oral affidavits from her daughter and other relatives, which were made public in 1870 by her grandson, William J. Canby, in a paper read before the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. No primary sources of the time—letters, journals, diaries, newspaper articles, official records, or business records—have surfaced since 1870 confirming or disproving the story. The only further supporting documentation that Betsy Ross was involved in federal flag design is the Pennsylvania State Navy Board commissioning her for work in making "ships colors & c." in May 1777. (Copy Pasted from Wiki)
Cool info Lee.
The only other thing said about Betsy Ross that I have found is that if what her children and grandchildren say is true, most likely Betsy Ross herself did not make it up. She was well known to be extremely honest. Now whether her descendants were is another matter. But as I said, it is still part of our history and Kaleigh believes it to be true, so more power to her! I will let you all know how it goes!
Post a Comment