So my 1st Grader made it into the Spelling Bee. He was one of 3 in his class and one of 12 in his grade at school. So yesterday was the 1st and 2nd grade spelling bee, where the parents and classmates are invited to watch. Man, I didn't realize how competitive some of the parents are!!
I sat there with Carl's mom and we watched the 2nd graders go first. It was very suspenseful!
Then out of the 3 classes (nine kids) they narrowed it down to 3 kids. They go on to the district Spelling Bee. Then it was the 1st Graders turn. They went up there (I was so proud of Cole! He was third in line to go. His friend Matthew (in photo to the far left of Cole), was first. Then they started. I think Coles first word was "ape", ok, not so bad. Some of his other words were "born, belt and care". Those were all on the list that we were given to practice. Then poor Matthew was the first to get a word not on the list, "airport". He got it wrong and then the next kid got something like "amaze" and he stayed in, then Cole got "apart" and he got that one, then his other friend Reese got "bacon" and of course it doesn't sound like it is spelled and he got out.
They went through just that one round and that was it! Cole made it! Wow, he is very proud of himself and I am full of mixed feelings. Yes, I am extremely proud and happy that he made it, but I know that from now until January 18th, we will have to study all 400 words on the spelling list! YIKES! I was kind of hoping he would get out, not first but near the end so we wouldn't have to deal with all of this! Sheesh, I know there were better spellers up there, but Cole had the luck of the word! Oh well, I am very proud of him, for even getting this far and who knows maybe this will help him to learn about competition and being a good sport!
5 comments:
You should film his preparation and make a "Cole and the Bee" movie!
Aw - Cole congrats!!!
Wow. That's so cool. I hope he gets to get through the next level fine ;)
For practising the next 400, you could make flashcards and work with him with 25 at a time or something. Once he's spelled the word correctly to you 3 to 5 times, you can drop out that card and put in something else.
Then he gets the same ones he's missing over & over to practise, and you don't waste time with the ones he knows...
Add some kind of prize for motivation, or he'll get bored of this fast. Just small stuff like a few pieces of his favorite candy while you do the cards, something bigger maybe once he's through half (his choice for dinner, sundae at a restaurant..)
Anyhoo - good luck Cole!!!
Well, thanks for the congrats, but we will not be making a big deal of it. We will practice, but only a few words a night. He is eager to practice but I am sure after about 2 months of this he will be way bored with it. He is a non-competitive type kid, and I don't want him to be way disappointed if he gets out early. He managed the bee because he really got some good words. So we shall see and I will keep you posted.
your kids will rise to the level of your expectations.
My oldest daughter was in the finals for her school spelling bee. She loved studying the dictionary to get ready. She got out on the word 'nacho'. She had never heard of nachos before....She could have spelled flalfel or haricots verts or quinoa, but nachos were her downfall
Post a Comment