Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mighty Ducks Field Trip! So Kaleigh got to go to the Honda Center to see the Mighty Ducks practice and learn about sweat! Pretty funny. They had all the players talking about evaporation, condensation and precipitation! You could totally tell they were reading off cue cards!! Heehee. But it was cool watching them play! Kaleigh didn't get to be in her friends chaperone group, but they sat together anyway!
Here they were waiting their turn to try for the hardest shot, they were clocking in at anywhere from 86 - 96 mph! Wow! You can see in the middle is #8 Teemu Selanne, that number I could see!

Now, I am not sure if this shot is of the correct goalie, you know which one I mean Tina. But the other guy was down at the other end and I couldn't get a good shot. They weren't wearing their jerseys so the only way to see who they were was by the number on the back of their helmets and I just couldn't make this guys number out! It was different then looking at just a black helmet and a white number on it! So this could be #35 Giguere....I just couldn't tell!


I forgot what they call this guy, but he made a cool entrance being lowered from the high ceiling of the Honda Center, pretty cool! Ok, Kaleigh just let me know his name is "Wild Wing" the Mighty Ducks mascot! Thank you, Kaleigh!
So apparently there were about 17, 000 students there and we had to wade through them all as we tried to look at exhibits outside the center, before sitting down. I went to two exhibits and then the kids all said, "can we go in now?" I was HAPPY to oblige! We sat down at 10:15 and ended up sitting for an hour before anything started! But I was just happy to be sitting and away from the hordes of 3rd through 6th graders!!! I was actually worried I would lose the 6 kids I was in charge of! Kaleigh wants to add that when they did the trick shots to get it past the goalie, one of the Ducks distracted the goalie by throwing one of his gloves at him and then he sneaked the puck into the goal! Some of the others balanced the puck on their sticks, moving it through the air and then whacking it like a baseball into the goal! Some were waving their sticks around and it wasn't until they threw the puck into the goal before I even knew they HAD a puck! It never touched the ground! Some even balanced and bounced it on their sticks and then one bounced it off his stick and kicked it off his heel into the goal! It was rather exciting!
So although the outside of the arena was mayhem, we did have a good time watching the players! And we got a free Zamboni baseball hat, that says "Hot Ice". Yay!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way cool field trip. All those fancy tricks sounded like the Harlem Globetrotters show on ice!

Tina said...

Way cool. I'm so glad you were well enough to go & you had fun.

You should take both kids to an actual game :) You get to yell and when the players don't play nice, they get a time-out in the penalty box :) hee.

Good stuff!

keeka said...

one of the six that I was watching was coming back this weekend for the real game. I think she will be a little surprised at the difference in behavior! They had to be good for the students! hehe