Sunday, May 28, 2006

Our Lives Overlap

Ok, so I meant to say it sure is a small world, but you know that is way overdone, so there. Just today as my family went to lunch after church, we (rather I) decided I wanted to go to Applebee's. So with one family ahead of us we were seated in about 5 minutes. We joked around with the kids at our table and we played tic tac toe and we colored. Then the food came. We were all tucking in pretty good and I noticed Carl (the hubster) looking over my shoulder, no biggie there are a lot of things to see on the walls at Applebee's. So as we are sitting there, Carl says, "What was Robert George's uncle's name?" That one came out of the blue, I thought to myself! I told him I really don't remember, seeing as I must have met the guy once or twice tops. Well, Carl then tells me, "I wonder how they got a photograph of his plane in here." I turned around and lo and behold there was a photo of a blue Corsair with the name "Sky Boss" with Yosemite Sam and a checkerboard engine cowling (description curtesy of Carl : P ) Now, if Robert is reading this maybe he knows why the photo is there, I wouldn't mind hearing the story. Hint, hint.... Anyway, it is interesting how often we have been to that particular Applebee's without seeing it. There are many other times when we have run into or seen people from our past, but nothing quite so specific as one airplane out of all the airplanes in the world. So there you have it, weird but neat! So Robert, if you are reading this, let me know if "1 is that the same plane and #2 why is the photo in an Applebee's in Brea?

6 comments:

Tina said...

Obviously, you see a lot more people in a small town than you would in a megalopolis, but even so, there are weird overlaps.

For instance, there's an italian place Lee & I enjoy here. We started going there after it opened and on one occasion, the owner came over & sat with us a bit.

We were talking about the recipe for his cheesecake (very yummy) and he said his mom had a restaurant in California. She refused to give him the recipe unless he started his own restaurant. So Lee & I are all, "where was your mom's place?"

"Huntington Beach."

"Really? We're from that area. Where was it?"

"Beach Blvd."

"Huh. Where on Beach?"

I forgot the name of the street, but Maxie's Hairbarn was off it in Costa Mesa. There was a Pic N Save there. Anyway, Lee & I had been to his mom's restaurant a few times.

So there you are!

- Rob said...

My uncle is Gary Meermans. His plane, as one of only a few operating Corsairs in the world, was often photographed. I remember walking through a mall and seeing it on the cover of a calendar!!! And yes, the photo you describe is my uncle and his plane (Sky Boss, F4U Corsair, N83JC).

Unfortunately, my aunt and uncle are divorced and I have lost contact with him.

Also, he no longer owns that plane. It is in a museum. Here are some web sites with info:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/registry/corsairregistry/fg1-67089.html

http://www.f4ucorsair.com/legends/living.htm

http://www.f4ucorsair.com/legends/n83jc.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/368939644/1368979694057782051ufNHrw

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N83JC&distinct_entry=true

Here is a link for the museum in New York that owns it now:
http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/

keeka said...

thanks robert, Carl looked it all up last night, he even showed me a photo of it at the museum. Cool huh? Just thought it was interesting that we just happened on it at Applebee's!

Unknown said...

I think Applebees probably owes his family 'display rights' and should pay off in free meals....

- Rob said...

As for NOT using the "small world" title, could that be related to mental baggage from your work history?

This is supposed to be a person sticking out their tongue while wearing an appropriate hat related to this comment:

8:-P

If I feel that it needs to be explained, it's probably not worth posting. However, that never stopped me before!

keeka said...

pretty good robert, and to tell you the truth, it could be a deep rooted aversion to that title, per prior workplace, but that is not why I didn't use it. Besides, never having worked that attraction, I never bothered me that much :0 )