Thursday, June 08, 2006


One Down, Two to Go!

Well, today was the first of three interviews for a teaching position at our preschool. I would be working Tuesdays and Thursdays only, and I would be working with...gulp... Three year olds! Now, for those of you with children, imagine the year in which your little one was the most challenging. Were they three? Well, I know without a doubt the children at our school are the most challenging in the three year old classes, but I am up for the challenge. Besides, it is only two days a week and I can handle that.
To be honest, my own kids were pretty easy going and I hope I don't have too many in my class next year that are extremely hard to handle, because I definitely won't be used to it. I have subbed a few times this year in the more difficult classes, and I came through without trauma, so working two days a week verses the five I am working now, should be no problem. I am a little nervous about the interviews with the superintendent and the school board, but other than that I am excited and energized about having my own classroom and creating a fun and happy experience for these little ones.
I sometimes think the whole "when one door closes another opens" is true, because I would have never thought of myself as a teaching 3's. I am actually looking forward to brainwashing...um, I mean molding these kids to be kind and compassionate to one another and to respect their elders and all the things that will make it easier for them to exist in our society. For any with teaching experience, advice is welcome!

3 comments:

Tina said...

The best way to teach is by example. If you're respectful at all times to them, they learn how to be respectful.

This is actually a lot easier in a school setting than at home. As the teacher, you're allowed to educate your assistants or parents as needed. If you explain the why & how, there's not usually a problem.

You can also use stories about behavior, and ask the kids what would they do, and have them predict what will happen next to help them learn about consequences. If they are familiar with the stories you have, make some up :)

Hope that helps a little.
:)

Unknown said...

Rules, set them then consistantly uniformly enforce them.

Kids quickly learn you mean what you say and will respond to that. The worst thing to do is to let someone slide on a 'first offense'. Ask Tina about her Playground duty experience....

keeka said...

thank to both of you! I pretty much think that consistancy is everything. The teacher that is doing the three's right now is very soft spoken but lets the kids kind of overthrow her...so the kids get out of hand.