A New Crop of Kids
Well, here is the new crop of kids for this school year! I do have two from last year (fourth from the left and the far right, they are twins that only go to school on Tuesdays at our school) I had them in my 3yr old class and now they are in my 4's class. So far it has started out well. I have a couple that could listen better and one that may actually have a bit of a learning disorder, possibly ADD or something similar, I am not an expert but when I read a story, I have everyone's undivided attention except the one child. For those who know me well, my storytime is fun and very entertaining, so it is weird to have someone not be at all interested and just lays around or starts talking to themselves. This child also will hide her crayons under the table instead of doing their work etc. It makes teaching this child difficult to say the least. I also have to say that 8 out of the 10 kids have never been to school, so it is almost as if I am doing the same as what I did last year! They are all learning to function in a structured school atmosphere. Not something I want to continue to do. I was looking forward to doing more teaching and less training...ah well, we don't always get what we want. But they are good kids and there are a couple of real gems in my class too! I already get "I love you Mrs. Wyckhouse" from at least 2 of the kids! They are sweet and about 1/2 are up to snuff academically. I will work hard to catch the other ones up! Whew, it will be an interesting year! But hey it is only twice a week, so I have a lot of time for myself! Cole and Kaleigh are both in school till 3pm and so it goes.... more on them later.
5 comments:
You might want to check that the kiddo who is not listening well doesn't have a hearing problem. That's the first thing they checked with Connor before his autism diagnosis, just to rule that out for sure.
I'm sure these guys will figure out the routine pretty quick and then you can get to the teaching part :)
Have fun! They look like a great bunch of kids!
No this kids hears me, she looks at me and if I tell her again, she will do the simple stuff. She doesn't like listening to instructions either...she mainly just does her own thing. I think if she didn't understand me or even hear me she would be looking around to see what the others were doing. She just can't seem to focus on what we are doing.
Can I put Andrew in your class? He also has trouble listening to instructions and doing what he is told. As long as you are working on that skill with your student...
Well, Rob, I think not only would he tower over the other kids, he would tower over me as well!
How tall is he now?
Andrew is about 1/2 inch shorter than I am. That puts him at just over 5'11".
He may be tall, but he can easily fit in with the class still. He is a lot of fun to be around when you aren't asking him to do something. :)
To be honest, Bethany is taller than you now too. She is just a little bit shorter than Celeste.
You probably still have Hayley beat - for now.
Post a Comment