Monday, July 21, 2008

Room Makeover...kind of
Ok, so for those of you who have never seen our back room or living room, this might be a little boring....ok, maybe a lot boring, but I had to put this in. We worked hard on it so it warrants a photo and some words.
While Kaleigh and I were in Canada on vacation at Omi's house, we watched a lot of Interior decorating shows. We both enjoyed the changes that the designers made, and since we don't have cable at home we were in awe of the shows that are available. The favorite of course were the super duper changeovers, but since those cost a lot we paid more attention to the low budget makeovers that are basically refreshers for a room. So, we decided when we got home to do over our family/livingroom. The photos are after shots...I forgot to take the before shots, but believe me this looks a lot better. Part of the problem was that we had a lot of unwanted clutter, which was partly my fault and partly the kids junk, spilling over from their rooms. So, first we had to clean (the worst part in my opinion) that was mostly the kids putting their stuff away. Then came the deep cleaning, which is also pretty yucky if you haven't moved things in a while.
The couches weren't too bad, but behind the entertainment system it was an inch thick with dust and just stuff that had fallen back there, icky. So we vacuumed and mopped the tile under everything that was moved, then we pretty much moved all the furniture in a counter clockwise move. So the black couch that was under the wolf photos (where the entertainment section is) was moved to the middle of the room, the love seat couch was moved up against the wall where the entertainment system used to be (was where the black couch was), and the entertainment system was moved from below the window to under the wolf photos. The big chair was moved from under the kitchen window to under the back window. The coffee table was moved with the black couch and a lot of stuff was gotten rid of or put out of sight. There is also an automan that matches the big chair and the loveseat that never really had a set spot but now it works for both the loveseat and the big chair in the present location. So all in all I think it looks pretty good. As long as we can keep the room uncluttered (which is of course the hardest part). I was going to get some accent pillows in a stronger color but Carl says we have too many pillows as it is...I kind of agree. Maybe when these pillows wear out or something!

3 comments:

Tina said...

Okay - I have a hard time with visually imagining what the 'before' was.

I need you to move everything back to where it was so I can see what you did.

Thanks.

JUST KIDDING!!

The room looks great!
(next time don't forget the "before" photo - thanks!)

keeka said...

Yeah, I know...just trust me, it wasn't so much where things were as much as how cluttered and messy it looked!

Anonymous said...

I watched those shows too while I was in hawaii and I am guessing you watched "Clean house" telling with all the clutter. The room looks a lot more open but you need some color!! Those walls are so white and make the space look dull (no offense!) maybe some brighter paintings could do? Going to a yard sale owuld help :D bur overall it looks really open and a lot more friendly!!