Saturday, September 26, 2009

Math Drama! It begins...

Ok, Kaleigh is in 5th grade, a tough year. Changing campuses and more homework. She seems to be keeping up with most of the homework, but her math is her main hurdle this year. I remember going into high school with a good record in math and then going into Algebra and pretty much getting the lowest grades I had ever gotten...in anything! Unfortunately, Kaleigh has my math brain. She got a "C" on a quiz and it came home with nothing said to me.
The school now has a program where the teachers send (by email) progress reports regularly, so when I saw that her ongoing grade went from an A+ to an A-, I was curious. Well, her last tests were "B's" and there was one quiz that was a "C". So I asked her and she showed me and I just started asking her what happened, just nice and casual...and the tears started. We worked out some of the problems and then I worked one out and came to the same conclusion she did, so I called Carl and he figured it out. So, there you have it! Algebra in 5th grade is too hard for me. I am not surprised. I told Kaleigh and Cole that once the alphabet enters math, it will be up to Dad to help them!
I can help with all other subjects, just not math. I am still reeling from knowing that when I was in my first year of High School I had my first taste of Algebra and Kaleigh is getting it in first grade. I am still wondering why it has to be pushed on them so early. I KNOW Kaleigh will never need algebra (I didn't and don't), so I always kind of wonder why it is such a large part of elementary education. I guess as long as they really stick to basics it isn't that bad...but still.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man i LOVE algebra! It was my favorite! I can and could do a problem in like 2 seconds. My teachers found me irritating because i was always done first. I evetnually got shoved into the advanced class (but later was taken out in high school for slacking which puts you behind) but good luck to you all!

keeka said...

ok then, we will call you when she needs someone to explain!

Hope you and baby are well!

Tina said...

It should be easy for Carl to help. Usually it just needs to be explained in a different way.

We relied on Froggy to help Trevor & Diana in high school once they were past what we could do (in my case, not a lot for math - Lee was better).

And we found Rick Schuelke in Diana's senior year to help with a German project because she was beyond what I could remember there as well :P

Ask me about Child Development/Psychology or Autism - I've got all those answers!!

Good luck & hopefully if it gets explained in a way she can understand, she will go forward from there - Even I did better in Geometry than Algebra. :)

flyingvan said...

Robert George, international math tutor.

keeka said...

Awww and here I thought his title was "International Man of Mystery"
hmmmm that must be someone else!

keeka said...

Oh and Tina? Carl is a lot like Dad when it comes to teaching. Remember driving with Dad teaching?
That is Carl teaching anything he is good at! Math being one of them!
Yikes!