Decorating Gingerbread Houses
So here is half my class and their gingerbread houses. The teachers all get together and we build them, amidst some mumbling because they are not that fun to make when you have to make 10 of them...on your own time...with graham crackers and royal icing...that we provide. Well, actually the parents provide the graham crackers and the candies for decorating, but we supply the icing. Every year we say, "no more!" this is way too much work! But every year we see the kids having a blast decorating them and we say, "well, I guess it wasn't that bad." So this year was no different and the kids had a blast as usual. This year however, I did notice more mouth stuffing of candy (especially the ones whose parents were NOT there). I controlled it somewhat but really the parents don't seem to mind that much, the kids are so proud of their creations, usually the parent is all, "wow, honey that is great! Good job!" So it makes it worthwhile to do it. Besides we decorate at the end of the school day so if they eat too much candy they are wired for mom and dad not me...muahahahaha!
1 comment:
I think graham cracker gingerbread houses are great. There aren't a lot of food crafts that turn out SO cute!
But yes, pre-icing into house shapes is definitely the way to go! I tried in a 4th grade class once to have the kids do it, and some got frustrated so quickly!
Myrna's kids used to do a whole town when they were teens. When you have the patience, it can be pretty dang cool. I always wanted to do it with the older girl scouts, but never got to it...
Good job!
Post a Comment