Sunday, April 18, 2010


What I like about teaching Preschool.
I was told many years ago (even before I had my own children) that I would make a good preschool teacher. I really didn't think so at the time, seeing as I didn't really like kids...yes, the nieces and nephews weren't so bad, but I did like going home to a place without the little rugrats! Obviously, at some point Carl and I changed our minds. Mainly the fact that we no longer worked at Disneyland made it easy to see that all children weren't horrible little beasts! Anyway, we had ours and then we ended up having the kids go to a private school that we couldn't afford without me working there. I got my ECE certificate and started teaching. I was terrified at first, but then I realized that the person that had told me I would make a good preschool teacher had been right all along! I enjoy teaching (for the most part) and there are more good days than bad (this year has been tough), but I really enjoy the creativity that goes along with it! When I first started teaching four year olds, they had some lame crafts. I asked if there was a chance that some crafts could be updated, and was met with a very enthusiastic YES, Please! So since then I have worked to make the crafts and other aspects of the curriculum a little more fun and new. One other thing I have done is made up some special days of fun for the kids. One such day, as you can see in the picture, was "Silly Dress Day". This stemmed from April Fools day which normally we take photos at the end of March with the kids putting on funny hats and we put the photos in our classroom window, saying "April Foolishness". It is fun and the kids love seeing themselves. Well, since Easter vacation happened at that same time this year, I decided to have "Silly Dress Day" instead. I send a flyer home before the break, saying that the week they return our class would have a silly dress day. So last Friday we (yes, me too!) all dressed up with mismatched socks and shoes, funny hats, inside out clothes, and anything else we could think of! As you can see we had quite a few participate. The girl in the front with the "Fro" wig, didn't want to dress up, and took off the wig and sunglasses right away. Everyone else was fine with it. I had fun dressing up too! I didn't get a shot of myself but basically imagine messy hair with flower clips everywhere and swim goggles as a headband. Lots of stripes and different shoes and socks and an apron tied on backwards! It was fun and the teachers had a blast too! So, sometimes my work is fun! I look forward to the next fun thing!

4 comments:

Tina said...

They do "spirit week" at schools around here - different things on different days for the same week; crazy hair, kooky hat, pajamas, backwards day, twin day - stuff like that.

I always dressed up too :P

keeka said...

Yeah, at Easter we had a pajama breakfast and that was fun too!
Green on St. Patricks day too.
Not too many other than those.
I might do a hat day closer to the summer.

Tina said...

Twin day is when friends dress similar. It's easier with girls who can fix their hair alike :)

keeka said...

Cute but I have 4 girls and 6 boys and I don't think they would care to dress alike. Hehe.
We are having a camping day in May so I think I will incorporate hat day into that!