Kids in My Class
I have seven kids in my class, five of which showed up to "Meet the Teacher" today. I will not post names but will give them other names (just in case).
I have five little girls and 2 little boys. One little girl is sweet and smart I will call her-Lacey, another of the girls looks like she might be rather rambuncious, I will call her Maddie, another little girl is quite but not really shy, just a bit of a step backer, I will call her Elena. The fourth little girl is of Asian decent, with both parents speaking English (thank you), she is cute and funny, I will call her Alicia. The one boy that came today will be a bit of a challenge, not because he is active, but because his mom told me that he is "Verbal-delayed" He only has a vocabulary of approximately 20 words, and she said he may not talk at all until he is more comfortable. Sigh....I guess, that would be the least of the problems I could have. He is rather small, wears glasses and didn't really make much eye contact with me or pay much attention to me. I will call him Trent. His mom is really nice and I will most likely be working a lot with her on what he can and can't accomplish. The other two kids (one boy one girl) never showed. I know the girl, she was a sibling of a girl in Coles class, so I will call her Colette. : ) The little boy, well, I guess I will meet him on the first day of school if he comes. I will call him Quinn. So now that is my class and if I blog about them, I will use their aliases, to protect the innocent. Most likely the ones I right about will be not so innocent, hehe. But you may get a few laughs out of it.
1 comment:
Verbal delay can be part of any number of PDD's (pervasive developmental disorders). If he has symptoms in all four categories of autism, though, it's autism.
You might want to check out the symptoms here:
http://www.childbrain.com/pddq3.shtml
Print it out and observe the child. After a few weeks, you should be able to see from experience. If it IS an issue, you might want to talk to your director about approaching the parents.
Early diagnosis and treatment means a big difference in how much the child can learn. There is very specific behavioral therapy and if he has autism, he should enroll in Early Intervention. That's free through the school district.
If he's autistic and already 3 years old, he's already behind for therapy. Not that he can't catch up stuff - autistic kids learn very differently anyway - but give the kid the best chance possible to learn as much as he can, as soon as he can.
:)
Post a Comment