The Challenge Begins
Here we go again.
The last few years have been very rewarding, I have taught preschool now for two years and this is my third. I am teaching 4 year olds again but this time I have 3 days a week instead of 2. I am glad because I can fit more in.
Now I am a worrier and I am always nervous on "Meet the Teacher" day. I met my students yesterday and found out that I will be having another challenging student. The first year I started out with a little boy with speech delay (I thought it was a lot more than that but...) who left after October because I told mom how disruptive he was (pulling papers out of cubbies and walking around the room tearing any paper he could find) and he was replaced with a little girl who spoke no english! So that was my first year teaching, then last year I had another challenge.
A little girl who seemed to me to be somewhat mentally challenged in that she has a hard time following instructions and could not answer simple questions with anything that made sense. For example if I asked, "What is your favorite thing to do at school?", she would say, "My mommy is going to get her hair cut!" There seemed to be a connection missing there. This year I will have a little boy that has been diagnosed ADHD. I am not an expert so I don't really know how to deal with him. I am hoping (since mom pulled him out last year because he couldn't handle it) that he has grown enough for this to work. Mom is very willing to work with me so that is good. Better than her being in denial. He apparently was adopted and is a drug baby, so the problems started there. So I am praying that this year I will be able to step up and do a good job for these kids and their parents! Wish me Luck!
6 comments:
Give her exercise breaks - let her run attendence to the office or put away recess toys. Let her pass out supplies whenever you can. Help her calm herself down with breathing exercises. Have you heard of Brain Gym? That settles kids down really well and you can have your whole class do it ;) google it :)
her? I said it was a boy! And she is 4 so no attendance runs to the office, she cannot leave my sight! I will look up brain gym, but there isn't much else I can do. I don't have any individual time with these kids so everything will have to be done with all the kids, if he becomes disruptive the only thing I can do is have someone from the office take him out of the room. We are definitely NOT equipped to have any type of special needs kids at our school! But I will do what I can.
I've been accused (falsely) of having ADHD. Oh look a kitty! What was I saying? Oh yeah---we're looking forward to you coming again. Iceland grows lots of bananas in hothouses.
whaaaa?
Ok, I am lost. Not that this is anything new!
Iceland? Or is that just another tangent due do your non-existant ADHD?
Heehee
my brotheres are actually ADHD. Its hard because they require a LOT of special attention. My brothers retaliated a lot and still do. THe best I can offer is special attention. Working as a class isnt their best thing. Another thing is anger. WATCH OUT! My brother hit a lot so he may be a little violent. If you send him out though he will just get angrier. Special attention is hard but you might see a more positive affect. Being rewarded helps too. They seem to really enjoy being the special kid.
The problem with our school is that everything is as a class otherwise the others are left out of whatever I am working on with him. We are not equipped to handle kids that need individual attention. I mean I did my best today (our first day) but he was really all over the place! It is going to be an interesting year. Sigh...
Post a Comment