Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Summertime -Packed vs. Relaxed

Growing up my sisters and I never went to camp, didn't go on "playdates" didn't have planned activities or sports. We of course had a pool that we spent most of our time in and we did have friends over to swim. Summertime was really for relaxing and playing and going on vacation.

Somehow parents today don't seem to really get that idea. Almost every parent I know has there kids in everything to sports, to camp, to horseriding etc. The problem with this is if you want to just have someone over to play, there has to be a scheduled day and time because everyone has "things" that they have to schedule around. No more calling someone on the same day to come over and play. I find this rather sad, and so do my kids. There is a friend that will just call and say, "Hey, can Kaleigh and Cole play?" Which is surprisingly refreshing and we always say yes!

My personal opinion is that parents are afraid of spending time with their kids. They don't know what to do with them! Most kids if left alone and given a few ideas will last hours without complaining. My kids (just like my sisters and I) have great imaginations because the learned from my example, coming up with made up games, like "Police Sketch Artist", Puppet shows, and "Towel fashions". The ones in quotations are the ones Tina and I made up.

The first is where two people sit facing each other, one with a sketch pad. The other describes the "burgler, robber, perp etc." The person drawing asks questions like, "what shape was his face, did he have a narrow or wide nose, what did his hair look like?" And so on. Then when the drawing is done, the person drawing says, "so is THIS what the robber looked like?" Not only is it hilarious to see the end result, but you can really go far with it, scars, moles..in fact I think once Tina said something like, "well, the guy didn't have any cartilage in his nose so it was just hanging there!" What a crack up that was! It also helps children learn to really listen and helps with using descriptive words too!

Towel fashions haven't happened yet because it was something we did to pass the time after coming out of the pool. We would take a few towels and wear them in different ways, then one of us would be the commentator saying, "here is Tina, wearing a lovely skirt and top combo, with a turban as an accessory!"

So, as you can tell, we had fun with what we had access to. It is sad that people have to pay other people to entertain their children. By all means don't let them stay at home where they will just whine about being bored! We have solved that one too! My Mom told us if we ever said those two words, " I'm bored", it was code for "it is time to clean". So we were very careful! My kids are very aware of this code!

As we speak they have their toy Chevron cars that they have been playing with for about 2 hours so far. They build them houses or should I say garages with DVD cases. Then they have families go on vacation they visit different parts of the house and this will go on for another hour probably. Then they will try and think of something else fun to do. If they can't come up with something they will ask for suggestions. I have a few other ideas up my sleeve, because I too used to need things to do, and Tina and I had a great time playing our homemade games! So watch out kids, here comes the "Chicky Game!"
Tina, don't laugh too hard!!!

7 comments:

Tina said...

There were some planned activities. We had ballet classes on Saturdays after CCD, and I did guitar lessons & Girl Scouts for 3 years or so during the school year.

At your kids' age, we hadn't really created many games yet outside Switchamadoo & the shark game in the pool. Towel fashions were part of that, but we also told the spooky stories in the nice, bright sunshine when we were drying off (Where's my Golden ARM!?)

Later we created a lot of Barbie clothing with two-way tape, because we had a lot of that from dad, and we didn't want to actually sew.

We read a lot, and went to the library on our bikes. And roller skated on the sidewalk. And went to Star View to play on the play structures until Michelle got beat up by that red-headed kid (Jermaine?).

Oh yeah - we'd go over to Diane's house a lot and build mazes in their play room with the 50 tri-fold foam-core poster boards. Those were great.

That's about it...

keeka said...

wow, your memory is much better than mine although, reading it brings it all back!

flyingvan said...

We carefully guard the free summer time at home, so the kids can just sort of be. TV stays off, except maybe for a little while in the evening. The kids are never bored....
Can't wait to meet your kids, as they don't sound like the kind that just want to eat junk food and play video games. What do you think of coordinating a spelling bee for the reunion? Is there a way to do it so all the age groups compete together? Can we put Lee in with the younger ones?

keeka said...

I doubt my kids would get very far being toward the younger side of the spectrum, but I think they would be willing! Cole does pretty well and so does Kaleigh depending on the word. They both read quite a bit but their vocabulary (especially Cole's) is pretty limited.
But hey that would be fun!

Renee' B. said...

if we did pairs teams it would a lot more fun!! Such as if Cole cant spell it he could ask his partner and they could help him out. it now only shows teamwork but the children would learn as well. i did that type of competition during grade school called battle of the books. its a lot of fun and getting a simple reward of taking them to a movie or an ice cream party would be very appealing. I cant wait to see you all at the reunion!

keeka said...

Hey cool! I didn't even know you were coming! Awesome! Then I guess we will see you real soon!
I do like the pairs idea! That sounds like fun! It would be kind of embarassing though if a kids spelled something an adult couldn't hehe!

keeka said...

Hey cool! I didn't even know you were coming! Awesome! Then I guess we will see you real soon!
I do like the pairs idea! That sounds like fun! It would be kind of embarassing though if a kids spelled something an adult couldn't hehe!