A Day at Home...
Well, today is a sick day for Cole. He struggles with recurring bronchyialitis. This is basically a condition that is a few wheezes short of asthma. Carl had the same thing as a child and we mostly just deal with it in the winter months when it is especially cold, windy, or rainy or a combination thereof. Today is both rainy and windy, and he coughed all night, so... no school today. Kaleigh was picked up by a carpooling buddy of mine so that was nice that I did not have to wake Cole (he slept in til 8:10). We have a nebulizer (breathing treatment machine) that we use when neccessary. Mostly when the cough becomes a true wheeze and Cole is not able to get a decent breath. We find, however, that when we give him his Albuterol early on in the coughing stage the need for the nebulizer diminishes.
Never let your child be diagnosed with asthma if it isn't definitely asthma. Carl was diagnosed as a child with asthma and later attempted to get into the Coast Guard. Childhood asthma kept him from getting in. Not that I am complaining myself, I am glad he has a nice safe job ; P
But having a child diagnosed with asthma can cause problems later in life, so be aware!
3 comments:
Lots and lots of asthma around. All 3 of my kids have been diagnosed with it. Hayley is on medication every night before bed that really seems to help. I wish we had a non-medication solution, but this works. We are able to take her off of it in the Summer.
Andrew had it pretty bad (and allergies) when he was younger, but it seems to be much less of an issue as he gets older.
Yeah, Carl was using an inhaler throughout school, but mostly just because of sports. He stopped needing it after Jr. High.
He had no problems when we met.
: )
Lee's solution was woodwind instruments and swim team. Both things increased his lung capacity to 3x normal size so even when he had an attack, he could usually still breathe (unless someone sprayed perfume in his face - that would shut him down immediately).
I have some kind of allergies here that I never experienced in So Cal, so I keep antihistimine handy in my purse & that helps me. The weird thing is I can tell I'm having an "attack" because my back or roof of my mouth starts to itch. Then the wheezy breathing starts if I don't take Benedryl or something.
:)
Post a Comment